Wednesday, June 4, 2014

the first of many

Most people like to keep track of baby's firsts - first tooth, first steps, first word, etc - because these are fun and exciting moments, not only the baby's life but the parents' lives as well. However, there's one more first that our theater family likes to keep track of...Baby's First Show! (This is especially the case when daddy is in the show.) Baby was only eleven days old.

There's a choir in Logan, Utah called the American Festival Chorus, founded and directed by USU's Caine College of the Arts Dean, Dr. Craig Jessop, (former conductor of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir). They perform different kinds of concerts throughout the year. In October 2013, they had a Family Pops Concert for Halloween. 

My husband is known for playing the Cat in the Hat in Seussical the Musical at USU. It was a fun play and a great character that fit him perfectly. Dr. Craig Jessop, (who highly complemented my husband's Cat in the Hat performance) asked if he would like to return as the Cat in the Hat and be the guest performer for the Family Pops Concert. Of course my husband said "Yes!" As the Cat in the Hat, my husband would be the MC for the show (speaking in rhyme of course) and would sing the ending of a Disney melody ("Friend Like Me" - Aladdin).

We made our way back to Logan for the weekend, this time with our brand new baby. We loved showing our baby the city where we spent the last four years of our lives. My husband had a couple of rehearsals to attend so I played with baby and showed him off to our friends.

Saturday morning I woke up with pain in my stomach. I knew exactly what it was but it had never come this bad. I was scared and didn't know what to do. We went to the doctor and I explained that I knew why I was having the pain and I just wanted something to fix it. (The pain also made sense due to my recent delivery...and I hadn't taken any stool softeners.) However they decided to be more cautious and sent me to the ER. The doctor there had me get some x-rays and later informed me that he was worried it was appendicitis. After discussing options with me, he decided to have me tested for it, which could have taken 6-8 hours. I promptly said no. I knew what it was, I wanted something to treat it, and I wanted to get out of the hospital. My husband had a rehearsal to be to and I didn't want to miss his performance that evening. After giving me a disgusting drink, we left the hospital. A short while later, my system was cleared and I was feeling better. (The doctor called me later that week making sure I was still alive. :)

The performance had finally arrived. I couldn't find a babysitter but didn't mind taking my little one to the show. I was more worried about the people around me if he started crying. My seat was dead center. I hung out with my husband back stage as he got dressed for the show. Baby had a bottle after which I rocked him to sleep in my arms. I wished my husband good luck and made my way to the middle of the crowd. I'm sure I saw people's eyes saying "Oh great, a baby's sitting next to us."

But guess what? Baby slept through the whole show! Even the loud sounds of "Circle of Life" and the brilliant theme song of Darth Vader. The classic Disney songs kept him sound asleep on my shoulder. He missed the superheros - Spider-Man, Superman, Captain America, Batman - and the clone army, Princess Leia, Boba Fett, and Chewbacca. And sadly, he missed the Cat in the Hat's signing and rhymes and his hilarious battle with Dracula. It was such an amazing concert! After the show, three ladies told me that my son did a great job. They had so much adoration for my little eleven day old. They couldn't believe that I would bring such a tiny baby to the performance, but after I explained that his daddy was the Cat in the Hat, they agreed that he couldn't have missed it.

Afterwards, the kids at the show, all dressed up in their costumes, got to go out to the lobby and meet all the famous characters. My husband was loved by children and adults alike. Several people commented on the precious baby in his arms. He was a proud daddy! :)


 
 


Even though Baby slept through his first show, we will always remember our little Baby Link with his Cat in the Hat daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment